When you eat apples, do you take it with or without the skin?
For men, take note – There is a University of Texas at Austin study published in 2017 that reveals that there are crucial and natural compounds in the apple skin (or peel or rind) that may be able to prevent prostate cancer.
The peel refers to the rind or the skin of the fruit. Whether or not it can be eaten depends on the thickness and the taste. For bananas and grapefruits, the skin is rather unpleasant and is usually peeled off. For the citrus fruits like the orange, the skin may be actually used for cooking, with the grated part of the peel being called the zest.
Carolyn Brown, a food nutritionist at Foodtrainers in New York believes that the skins should be kept on. It is the skin that is packed with nutritional stuff like the antioxidants and vitamins etc. Apple skins contain a third of the nutrients while potato skins contain half the fiber. To her, the following skins can be consumed – apple, carrot, cucumber, eggplant, nectarine, peach, pear, plum, potato and sweet potato. If it is too tough, remove it. Not everything must be eaten; use your common sense.
Let’s take a quick look at the other nutritional skins:
- Cucumber – the skin contains majority of its antioxidant, plus insoluble fiber, potassium and vitamin K.
- Eggplant – the peel is rich in chlorogenic acid which boosts antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Grape – the resveratrol is found in the skin, a type of phytochemical beneficial to the heart and brain health.
- Watermelon – the skin contains the antioxidant citrulline which can be converted to an essential amino acid arginine that is beneficial to the heart and immunity.
Besides the orange skin that can be used for zest, the banana skin can be baked in an oven for 20 mins to dry out, which can then be used to make tea. The watermelon skin can be pickled. If you use to use the entire mango instead of removing the skin, you can pickle the whole fruit.
And there are many more uses for the skins:
- Avocado – the skin can be used as a face moisturizer peel as it contains a lot of fatty acids beneficial for the skin.
- Lemon – the skin can be boiled in the kettle to clean the mineral deposit inside, especially if your water quality is hard water.
- Potato – the skin apparently contains the enzyme catecholase which can be used on the underside of the eye to soothe out the dark circle as it acts as a skin lightener.
There are many more uses for the peels, so do your research and make full of use of them, if you don’t want to consume the skin.
© LOOMI Group 2018
This article is first published on loomigroup.com
Help us make it better! Contact us at [email protected] if you find anything not right in the article!